This was done for an assignment where we were supposed to find an object to reference. I used calipers to find the lengths of the edges, and used the dimensions to create the parts in SolidEdge.
This is not my first 3D print. However, this is the first 3D print that I designed hoping to acheive a dynamic mechanical system. The tolerance on the machine was 0.007". I had used a buffer of 0.008" when designing the plans for the object. I made the buffer space between the parts a hair bigger (0.008") in anticipation of a one peice print where everything would come out of the printer and function without and assembly or post processing required. Plans changed when I went to slice the object in half and layed the objects out in printing space to save support material. Since post processing and assembly would be required in this scheme, I should have went back to change the buffer size to 0.007" since I would need to clean everything up anyways. There was also an issue with the overlapping hulls that I created. The printing software filled the overlapping areas with support material. I was not expecting this because of how I had done prints with a makerbot in the past. Overlapping hulls were filled as if the two objects went through a union boolean operation. That was not the case with the 3DS systems that I was printing on. The support material replaced the stronger ABS plastic in key points that needed to be reinforced.
There were a few reasons why this design failed, weak joints in the mechanics, large tolerances, and no stops on the pegs that held the moving parts in place. I'm glad I had the experience; now I know what I could do to ensure that the final product will function as planned.
Here are some mockup renders of the model.
Copyright © 2013 Richard Hale. All rights reserved